Church of England: All Saints Church, Church Road, Hartley
All Saints' Church, Hartley
Hartley parish church is first mentioned in 1115, but almost certainly existing in Anglo-Saxon times.
Much of the building is Norman, probably of about 1100 date, with c13th additions.
There were substantial alterations in the c19th when the east and west walls were rebuilt.
Of particular architectural interest is the door which is Norman or possibly even Anglo-Saxon - a fine example of the local blacksmith's art,
and the the scratch clock on the south wall. The Churchyard is full and now closed to new burials and now maintained by the parish council.
A history guide is available from the Friends of All Saints'. The Church is open during the day.
All Saints' Church: Norman Door
In 1983 Hartley Parish was united with the neighbouring parish of Fawkham as a united benefice.
The right of presentation (that is to appoint a new rector) of the rector alternates between the
Bishop of Rochester and the Dean and Chapter of Rochester Cathedral.
In 2012 the church was extended to include a kitchen, toilets and additional seating space.
Probably one of the most original RC churches in the country, which has just celebrated its centenary. It was once a barn
attached to the neighbouring Middle Farm, which was converted into a church by the owner Miss Beatrice Davies-Cooke in 1913.
It is mainly timber and thatch, with a modern extension to the south.
A history and guide is available in the Church. The Church is open during the day.
Hartley United Reformed Church was founded in 1927 as a Congregational Church. Their church opened on 15 September 1934.
Rev Kenward said at its opening "The Church was being built not only for Congregationalism,
but for something that mattered far more than that - the Kingdom of God". The church building closed in 2009 to be replaced
by housing, but the church lived on, with their congregation worshipping at All Saints' Church.
Usually one service a month was led by the URC minister. Sadly in 2016 they took the decision to close as a worshipping congregation.
Hartley was part of the URC North Kent Group, which also has churches at Gravesend and Northfleet, together with a former
church at Southfleet.